Monday, November 15, 2010

Pre Trip Jitters

Well it's the night before I leave and I'm very nervous.  There's a part of me that wonders what in the heck I'm doing going off to Europe all alone and another part of me that can't wait to get there and see a country I've longed to see my whole life!

My great grandmother Hazel Plate was a McCarty and hearing her talk about being Irish always made me want to know more about my family.  I am very sorry I didn't talk to her more about her past and her family before she passed away.  I cannot find anything about her parents on any of the ancestry websites I've searched.  It's a valuable lesson to make sure you ask about family before the older ones are gone from your life.

So I'm all packed and I haven't flown in a while I sure hope my flights are all smooth sailing. It just dawned on me this will be the last night that I will sleep in my bed at home for the rest of the week.  I just hope all my connections go well and I end up in Dublin when it's all said and done.  There are many concerns about being a woman traveling alone and one of them is crime.  Just like any big city Dublin has it's share of crime and I hope I am safe walking the streets by myself. I plan on using the buses for some transport and I am armed with a full artillery of maps.  I look forward to some great Irish Stew, Guinness that is fresh from the brewery and hopefully meeting some locals at a few of the more authentic Irish pubs.  I will be doing some shopping at the Dublin Airport as they have a HUGE mall there and then moving on via bus to my hotel.  I hope I can get in it early as I know me, I will not sleep worth a darn on a noisy airplane.  I also found an Irish sportsbar that shows American football games and has bar trivia with a pretty large jackpot.  I'll go try my hand at that and I'm taking my Detroit Tigers Jersey to wear to it.  I'll probably look like a zombie that first day from lack of sleep.  Dublin is five hours AHEAD of us.  Speaking of sleep, I better head off to bed and get some rest while I can.  I have a BIG DAY tomorrow.  I will write more when I get to Dublin at their Internet Cafe.














 

No comments:

Post a Comment